The VMC script is really easy to use, just follow these steps and you will be up and running in no time!
Let’s assume you need to set the glossiness of reflections for all VRayMtls on the selected objects.
- Set “Choose what to work on:” to VRayMtl.
- Set “Choose property:” to “reflection_glossiness”. The property names in this list are defined by Chaos. Most are obvious but some take a bit of time to find!
- Enter the new value. The type of property is detected from boolean (on/off), colour, Float (numbers with decimal points) or Integer (whole numbers).
- Apply the change using buttons to the whole scene, selection, Medit ball range or the active slot. The last 2 are for the original material editor – pre “Slate”.
A few pointers:
Take care when changing properties that are displayed as drop-down lists and radio button in the Max GUI. The first item is set with 0, using the integer field, the second with 1 and so on. Take care that you do not set a value that exceeds the number of options in the original property. This can lead to unexpected behaviour – use with caution!
Hidden properties may be listed in the “Property To Change:” list. Changing these can lead to unexpected results.
Set the subdiv spinner to the new value, tick the stuff you want to reset and press scene.
- Pick Folder… Choose the working folder to get max files from.
- Sub-folders? Include all sub-folders found in the working folder.
- New Destination: Saves the modified Max files to the path chosen by clicking destination.
- Subdiv Reset: Apply subdiv settings (Global Subdiv Reset section) to all max files found.
- Apply Property: Apply property setup (first section of script) to all max files found.
- Repath Maps: Repath any missing maps to the same folder as the max file. Requires Relink Bitmaps
- Apply Settings to Max Files Run Batch Mode!
This is a new tool so please let me know if you find any bugs!
If you are stuck or find a bug, please get in touch with an email, tweet or leave a comment.